Are you feeling a little off balance? I think this time of year that happens quite often.
I am not going to pretend that I have all the answers. Nor will I say it never happens to me.
I will say this however, I really do fight against it. I try really hard to keep my Fa-la-la spirit going♪♫♪♫
There are a few things that have helped me through out the years. Probably nothing too new or earth shattering, but just practical ways of doing or looking at things that have helped me.
Planning and Prepping:
- We have all been through several holiday seasons. It comes around the same time every year, so we really do know what to expect. Where we go wrong is ignoring what we already know.
- We know who we have to buy gifts for so MAKE A GIFT LIST!!! Along with this list, I put possibilities so that when I go looking, I keep on track.(I like to use 3x5 cards, one for each person or family)
- Make sure the linens and dishes we need are accessible and ready to go.
- When you make a To-do list actually put the chores on your calendar so you will allow enough time in each day to get done what needs to be done.
By putting it on the calendar you will see exactly how much time you have to get things done in the month of December.
- Keep it simple!! This is one thing I remember from year to year.
Use The Lessons You Learned Last Year!:
- Write down what worked really well for you last year and repeat it this year!
- Take pictures of the way you decorated and keep them with your decorations. If it looked good last year it will look good this year!
- When you see a new idea, make a copy of it and keep it with your Christmas notes or in your photo file for next year's decorating.
What about the FOOD?!!:
- Make a menu for upcoming dinners or parties and buy the staples ahead of time and the fresh products right before.
- This is where I cheat a little!!! Buy your desserts or goodies from your favorite bakery or grocery store. Be sure and get things that can freeze or be put together easily at the last minute.
Christmas Drop-In’s or Last minute guest!
- I love people to drop-in on me. If they do that, I know they came to see ME and not just my house.
- I always keep biscotti on hand, which keeps almost forever. That and a cup of Christmas tea always feels special.
- Christmas napkins are always special and easy to put out last minute.
- Redi-whip and crushed candy canes in hot chocolate is a real special treat for young visitors as well as we more mature visitors.
- Keep hostess- type gifts on hand and wrapped and ready to go. Cocktail napkins, candles, Christmas soaps are always appreciated.
Running out of TIME!!:
This happens to us all and this is where I learned the most important lesson of all……….
The important things truly will get done. Remember the list you made at the very beginning of the season? You made that list like we all do.
At the beginning we are all filled with enthusiasm and energy. As time marches on, and it does march to its own drummer we wax and wane.
At the end ,we let the little stuff go and concentrate on what is important. That my friends is why I can say…….
“The important things always get done!”
One more thing! Remember it is the people in our lives that are important so time spent with a loved one or special friend is the best gift of all!!!!