home about me our home

Monday, July 15, 2013

Goldilocks OF Design Is At It AGAIN!!

 

index

When asked the question, what is the biggest decorating mistake a homeowner can make? My answer is always, “ Not having a PLAN!”

Even when we have a plan there are adjustments that have to be made along the way.  Often times it is due to, affordability, availability, or practicality.

Sometimes it is just the fact that the element does not look right to the owner.

67b573194519e740f92badcf09d2f113
As you all know I have been trying to make some little changes in my family room for a summer look.

The easiest (so I thought) changes were to switch out my pillows.

I just knew for sure they would look great, a nice combination of navy’s, cobalts, and turquoise.

34f12486070d94a344f0337170fefdc5
Since it was summer and summer makes me think of the beach I thought I would even add a little sea-life to the mix.
ENTERS PLAN A
I ordered this pillow to start with……

2060250ccad2b1a7e3bd237880e4e064
 via

Beautiful? Right? this lovely embroidered sea coral from Pottery barn looked to be the perfect jumping off point to me.
 WRONG!!

Two reasons it was wrong, it was more muddy in person, and it reminded be of a human organ of some kind. I know! Strange, but it did. Back it went.

Time to reevaluate!
ENTERS PLAN B….

So I started to reevaluate. It was too muddy, so I needed something with clear colors, no more sea-life.
I am still looking for something with navy, cobalt, turquoise.

I even made a collage of the possibilities....

finalist

Next the order was placed……….

8694_5235_112c4a12b7e5c507eff815b408c7e6f4c

All Wrong!!
Summer pillows from C.wonder 001 (800x600)
The Ikat dot was close, but the turquoise floral was way too bright. and was just saying way too much for the room.

 “LOOK-AT-ME!” and “IGNORE EVERYTHING ELSE IN THE ROOM!”

Never a good thing if an element does that in a room!
 

TIME TO REEVALUATE A-G-A-I-N!!
PLAN C!

I am beginning to feel like Goldilocks here!!

Since the turquoise seems to be the wrong color in this room, as far as fabrics go, maybe I just need to use a blue and white color scheme with just touches of turquoise in accessories, like vases/books, etc.


That way I will still get the cooler look for the summer months, (which are quickly approaching their end.)

The search continues and samples of fabric are odered!!

Come back for my next blog post to see what the options are, and which fabric I FINALLY decided on!!

 
 

16 comments:

Cathy said...

Have you tried something with blue and yellow? It would tie in the wall color.

Kathysue said...

Hi Cathy, I am trying to cool down the room for the hot summers we have here in Calif. Yellow is always on my radar but more in the fall or spring. Thanks for thinking of an option, I always love to hear what my readers have to say!
Kathysue

Woodside Park said...

Hi, Kathysue!
I desperately need pillows for our basement TV room. Have been putting it off...not sure what I want down there. At least you are exploring options and trying various ones. Good luck!
x Loi
PS - We just returned from Maine, and while there, I did pick up some pillows for a client. Found them at a cute home store in the town of Mt Desert. Very, very reasonable. Will see if they have a website to forward to you.

The Pink Pagoda said...

Hi Kathysue, I think the pillows need some true navy to balance with your rug. Isn't that black?

Sarah said...

Good luck, Kathysue. It's fun to follow along with this process.

Patty Day @Pattys Epiphanies said...

WAIT!!!!
Target has started their "Back to School" Ads!!!

Amy Vermillion Interiors said...

I feel your pain Kathysue!!! It seems like I can't make a decision to save my life when it comes to my house. I've been following your "blues" so I'm looking forward to what's next.
Amy

Low Tide High Style said...

Maybe you just haven't found the right turquoise yet? The ones you've tried seem more yellow and heavy on green, so maybe you will find the right color after a little more searching, though blue and white is always a winner!

xo Kat

Stacy CUrran said...

You know how many times I have "been there done that." It's so hard in one's own home! But I KNOW you will get it right in the end. I feel for you though, because I know it can be so disheartening and frustrating!
Stacy

Elizabeth "Libby" Day said...

After reading all the comments, it sounds like you have quite a qualified support team there. It's good that they can commiserate with you. I have no suggestions to offer, except to encourage you to keep on looking for what speaks to you, even if its too late into fall to use it. There is always next summer.

Jo Ann said...

How about #2 from your July 2 post? Heavy on blue, light on turquoise.

Unknown said...

Oh dear. It's always a process isn't it? Hope you have fun finding your perfect mix! It's not always as effortless as it seems!

The enchanted home said...

Decorating is like a constantly evoling science experiment. I think you are so good at expressing your thoughts and coming up with a game plan, very organized and love all your visuals. I think you have a good concept on how to get things done.

It is trial and error though and ordering online can be risky..I too have gotten things in that were not nearly as great as I thought they would be. Its a pain to return them and start again but it helps clarify what direction to go in. I love your ideas...keep up the good work!

SHERRY HART said...

I can feel your frustration!!! It is hard when you are ordering them. I always want to bring home the swatch until I get good and tired of it and then start over...never making a decision:) I know you and when it happens it will be fabulous!

Teresa Hatfield ~ Splendid Sass said...

Kathysue-
We know Rome wasn't built in a day, or a month...
It never ends, does it? One day it will, as always, fall together.
Teresa
xoxo

designchic said...

Don't you just hate when something comes in and it's all wrong. Fabrics are so hard to tell true colors on line, and I've done the same thing. Can't wait to see the final!!